Wednesday 19 April 2017

Still Life Drawing


Do note that the piece is unfinished.

For the classes still life realism project, we were given a selection of four sections to draw. I chose the bear skull, alongside flowers. I started the contour first (as one should), albeit heavier than one should draw, as it's simply a habit of mine. Specifically though, I drew first the left-hand skull (a bear's if I'm not mistaken), the entire picture was designed around that specifically; it is the focal point. The flowers came in second, however I had the bravado to "cut and paste" parts, which, I think, led to moderate success. One of the flowers was in the stance shown, and another (of the same type) was hanging somewhere else, so I merely pretended the other was alongside the first.

I was going for an L composition, with the flowers being the bottom half, and the top-most skull being the top half. until it became apparent I'd need to add more to truly highlight the composition, so I took another skull, which was nearby and "pasted" it into the frame, the lighting was all there so things were made far simpler. I then chose to add another section of flowers above the left skull, however it was hardly broken in by the end of class time. The negative space would've been a simple manner of adding in creases and folds from the white sheet behind the subjects.

Overall I'm proud of my left skull, and likely would be proud of it overall, had I finished it with the time allotted.







No comments:

Post a Comment